2/22/08

St. Julian Samba Showdown 26 by J Thyme (2010) 320 kbps - 180 mb


This is my farewell to Summer post. I had promised if I could find another 24 tracks to line up that sounded good to my ears then I would post another installment of the Samba Showdowns. So here it is. This very special post goes out to Jörn from Germany. A little alagria for those gray days. 70 minutes of sunshine here.
I want to add as a person from North America, that I think that music of South America has just as much to offer in the way of a "Song Tradition" as North America and perhaps more so in certain respects!

St. Julian Samba Showdown 26 by J Thyme (2010)

01. Era Uma Vez - Abilio Manoel (1973)
02. A Feira - Dóris Monteiro (1970)
03. Xavante, Lágrimas e Poesia - Wando (1975)
04. Nanar Contigo - Zeca Do Trombone & Roberto Sax (1976)
05. Miro, Pandeiro De Ouro - Ederaldo Gentil (1975)
06. Acorda, Que U Quero Ver - Alcione (1975)
07. Dias De Hoje - Cyro Aguiar (1975)
08. Mudei De Ideia - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1971)
09. Alhos E Bugalhos - Maria Creuza (1976)
10. Rabo De Saia - Os Originais do Samba (1977)
11. Nega - Emilo Santiago (1977)
12. O Trem - Zuzuca (1972)
13. Prontos De Poeta - Cartola (1977)
14. Mundo Cão - Germano Mathias (1968)
15. Baiano Não É Palhaço - Gordurinha (1962)
16. Cavala Canga - Nonato E Seu Conjunto (1974)
17. Bahia baiá - Golden Boys (1971)
18. Na Boca De Beco - Djavan (1976)
19. Ijexa - Clara Nunes (1982)
20. Bate-Boca - João Nogueira (1978)
21. Sebastiana - Elton Medeiros (1973)
22. Quando O Carnaval Chegar - Ely Arcoverde (1972)
23. Nao Leve A Mal - Paulinho da Viola (1973)
24. A Sorte Mudou - Jorginho Pessanha (1971)

P.S. Listen for that juicy breakdown on track 12 "O Trem" by Zuzuca. Also listen to the clarity of recording on track 15 "Baiano Não É Palhaço" by Gordurinha. This recording is from 1962 and is 10 years ahead of the curve in terms of recording excellence on the part of the RCA Victor studio. Simply amazing.
I've never heard any culture with such a gift for choral singing as Brasil. It's one of the elements that guides my song choices from volume to volume.

16 comments:

  1. Hi J Tyme,

    Love your work - thanks for sharing. Here's something for you. A mash-up version of Gal Costa's 'Vou Recomeçar'. Here's the link on SoundCloud:

    http://soundcloud.com/jasealey/gal-costa-vou-recomecar-mash-up

    Feel free to share and enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Re-Bop, thanks for stopping by. What's a mash-up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its nice to see a person out of Brazil knowing so much about the music from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rafael. Music is the universal language & brings all people together.
    I'm just a North American neighbor who can relate to your musical language.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just downloading it with great expectations. Thank you for taking the time for another presumably fabulous edition !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi HMPZ, Thanks for pointing out my error before too many people have the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really honoured for this dedication. Thanks so much for another beautiful compilation. Now the dark days may come...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jörn, let me know if there are any standouts on this one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A mash-up is when you take bits of a track and paste them together so that you re-edit the track (like a remix)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Re-Bop, If you listen closely to what I'm presenting on my page, then you might gather that I'm a purest who enjoys a well composed, arranged, performed & recorded song or LP. There's nothing on my page that would indicate that a "Mash-Up" would have any appeal to me. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey J. congratulations for the great music you share here. I´m just curious about the signal chain of your vinyl rips, could you tell me ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Don L. I do not rip any LP's myself. I share CD's & LP's rips from friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. no fear maestro you're up to your usual HIGHEST standards - personally I find your song selection skills have even developed over the course of the Showdowns (and were great to begin with). the logic becomes even clearer with relistens. which I look forward to! this will sound even more amazing on my good speakers... a new Showdown from you is always an event for me! I hope you keep blessing us with even more (finite or no - Brazil has the tunes and you know how to find them).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you kindly for your compliments Paul.
    By listening closely to this form the ear becomes more attuned to the essence of the sound. There are certain elements which help guide my choices and I'm sure those elements are ones that you're enjoying as well. Cuica, Choral singing, horn arrangements, etc, etc. Ultimately, it's about good song-craft. My ear has become so sharp as to their moves and this is no easy feat considering how formidable a force these Brasilians are. They move quick! Some of these tempos are in triple-time, if you get my meaning? I'm very proud of the pacing and song choice on volume 26. It's getting many spins by me. I think that any of these compilations are a good focused look at MPB in the 60's & 70's. I think that Brasilian song deserves to be better known & loved and I am here to champion these artists, but I think you know that already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello J,

    fantastic compilations! congratulations, I know how work you have to build something like this!
    many thanks for sharing!

    greetings from Brazil
    Eduardo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Eduardo. I'm happy someone is enjoying this series. It is from my heart. I have the greatest pleasure doing this.

    ReplyDelete