St. Julian Samba Showdown by Justin Thyme (2006)
01. O Rei Do Calango (Calangotango) - Abaetê (1977)
02. Conceição da Praia - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1971)
03. Rock De Minas Gerais - Arnaud Rodrigues (1976)
04. Negra Brecho - Azambuja & Cia (1975)
05. Camisa 10 - Brasilian Singers (1974)
06. Lenda Das Amazonas - Burnier & Cartier (1976)
07. Mambembe - Chico Buarque (1972)
08. De Noite Na Cama - Dóris Monteiro (1971)
09. Bezouro Mangangá - Eliana Pittman (1972)
10. Barao Beleza - Elza Soares (1972)
11. Com Que Roupa - Gilberto Gil (1991)
12. Laborio - Giovana (1975)
13. Sabia, Diga La - Jaime Alem & Nair Candia (1974)
14. O Ronco da Cuica - João Bosco (1976)
15. Não Põe A Mão - Manoel Conceição (1975)
16. Não Tem Nada Não - Marcos Valle (1973)
17. Você Não Passa De Uma Mulher - Martinho da Vila (1975)
18. Bola Preta Pra Mim - Miltinho (1969)
19. Partido Alto - MPB-4 (1972)
20. Malvadeza Durao - Nara Leão (1965)
21. Foi Um Rio Que Passou Em Minha Vida - Paulinho da Viola (1969)
22. Levante A Cabeça - Som Nosso (1977)
23. Xamego De Ina - Trio Mocotó (1971)
24. Samba Pra Vinícius - Vinícius & Toquinho (1973)
St. Julian Samba Showdown 2 by J Thyme '07
01. Bobeira - Edson Frederico (1975)
02. Adivinhação - Sergio Bore (1981)
03. Vou Correr - Manoel Conceição (Mão De Vaca) (1975)
04. Qual E? - Djavan (1973)
05. Tema De Azambuja - Azambuja & Cia. (Conjunto Aiymuth) (1975)
06. Balanca Povo - Martinho Da Vila (1972)
07. Guardei Minha Viola - Paulinho da Viola (1972)
08. Quem Tem Carinho Me Leva - Giovana (1975)
09. Eu Bebo Sim - Golden Boys (1973)
10. Quem Vem La - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1971)
11. Se E Questao De Deus Ate Logo - Tamba Trio (1974)
12. Cidad„o da Mata - Baiano E Os Novos Caetanos (1974)
13. Bala Com Bala - João Bosco (1973)
14. Sandalia De Prata - Johnny Alf (1973)
15. Promessa De Pescador - Papete (1975)
16. Gago Apaixonado - Cravo E Canela (1977)
17. O Orvalho Vem Caindo - Carlos Lyra & Verônica Sabino (1991)
18. Boi Da Cara Preta (Eneida, Amor e Fantasia) - Brasilian Singers (1974)
19. O Comeco Da Festa - Luiz Gonzaga Jr. (1975)
20. Dama Da Noite - João Nogueira (1979)
21. Balanco Do Violao - Hyldon (1975)
22. Do Lado Direito Da Rua Direita - Os Originais Do Samba (1972)
23. É isso Aí - Dóris Monteiro (1971)
24. Tereza Guerreira - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1973)
I leave a few clues here for my DJ friends. When you see an LP cover appear again & again over several volumes of these mixes, then you can rest assured that the LP is a strong one. An example would be, Geraldo Filme [1980 Estúdio Eldorado]. This LP is all over my Samba Showdowns. A Masterpiece in every way!
The other key thing is repeats on artists over several mixes. A few names on repeat are João Bosco, Antônio Carlos & Jocafi, João Nogueira, Dóris Monteiro, Martinho Da Vila, Emilio Santiago, Candeia, Os Originais Do Samba, Paulinho Da Viola, etc, etc.
My favorite thing to do when I've just done it, is to do it again. Here's to doin' it again & again & again. Brasil is one of the most fertile musical areas on this here Earth. May these compilations be the PROOF that this music is endlessly enjoyable & highly spinable. Bravo to the infinite bliss that is the music of South America! Enjoy.
St. Julian Samba Showdown 3 by J Thyme '07
01. Afina O Meu Violao - Emilio Santiago (1978)
02. Segure Tudo - Martinho Da Vila (1971)
03. O Babulina - Dominguinhos (1976)
04. Nago - Trio Mocotó (1971)
05. Dia De Azar - João Nogueira (1979)
06. Dona Da Casa Boa Noite - Noite Ilustrada (1976)
07. Pra Que Tanta Explicao - Téca & Ricardo (1976)
08. Os Caras Querem - Wilson Das Neves E Conjunto (1976)
09. Figa De Guiné - Anamaria & Mauricio (1973)
10. Nega Dina - Nara Leão (1965)
11. As Pastorinhas - Morais Moreira (1991)
12. Baton Cereja - Abaetê (1977)
13. Na Cara Desse Cara - Zeca Do Trombone & Roberto Sax (1976)
14. Roendo As Unhas - Paulinho Da Viola (1973)
15. Solidao - Dóris Monteiro (1981)
16. Pirim Pim Pim - Paulo Diniz (1974)
17. Irmaos Coragem - Som Tres (1970)
18. François - Som Nosso (1977)
19. Dona Da Casa - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1973)
20. Capoeira Poeira - Cravo E Canela (1977)
21. Uma Sombra Na Estrada - Trio Ternura (1971)
22. Agua De Coco - Papete (1975)
23. Malandro Velho - Seginho Meriti (1981)
24. Moeda Quebrada - Leilão - Miltinho (1969)
File Under: MPB / Samba
P.S. May we from other lands come to respect the GREATNESS that is the music of sunny Brasil.
This outpouring could only be conceived of in the spirit of love. Some things are not created with money as a goal. I just really like this movement & enjoy lining up some key tracks for optimal listening enjoyment. I hope you're enjoying the celebration of song as presented here?
St. Julian Samba Showdown 4 by J Thyme '07
01. Chula Louca - Luis Vagner Lopes (1974)
02. Mirandolina - Burnier & Cartier (1974)
03. Eu Vou De Banda - Dominguinhos (1977)
04. Na Passarela - Zeca Do Trombone & Roberto Sax (1976)
05. Em Cima Daquele Morro - Arnaud Rodrigues (1976)
06. Silêncio no Bexiga - Geraldo Filme (1980)
07. Xuxu Melão - Trio Mocotó (1975)
08. O Maestro e o Arquiteto - Abaetê (1977)
09. Canta Canta, Minha Gente - Martinho Da Vila (1974)
10. Ameriqueiro - Baiano E Os Novos Caetanos (1975)
11. Quem Sabe O Amanha - João Só (1971)
12. Gago Apaixonado - João Nogueira (1974)
13. A Volta Do Ponteiro - Os Originais Do Samba (1972)
14. Estou Chegando Agora - Wilson Das Neves E Conjunto (1976)
15. Par Ou Impar - César Costa Filho (1977)
16. Se Quiser Valer - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1971)
17. Batucada Do Mané - Manoel Conceição (1975)
18. Saudações - Johnny Alf (1974)
19. Ninguém Dá O Que Nao Tem - Claudia (1968)
20. Para-Raio - Djavan (1976)
21. Argumento - Paulinho da Viola (1975)
22. Maita - Giovana (1975)
23. O Plebeu - Jorge Ben (1975)
24. Dia De Festa - Sapoty da Mangueira (1975)
P.S. I'd like to think of what I'm doing with this series as a kind of reporting. There's a very good story over here in Brasil in the 70's. The art of recording is through the roof. These kids over here are no joke. The art of mic-ing & tape saturation & mastering is high, high art! Combine that with perhaps one of the most developed rhythm sections & melodic craft fused to masterful arranging & engineering & you've got "A Golden Age". There's a fantastic story here & I'd like very much to report on what I'm seeing here, 'coz it's great! I hope you agree?
St. Julian Samba Showdown 5 by J Thyme '07
01. Uma Rosa Com Amor - Marcos Moran e Samba Som 7 (1973)
02. Teresa (CORRIDA DO OURO) - Betinho (1974)
03. Selva de Feras - Baiano E Os Novos Caetanos (1974)
04. O Poste Da Rua Jorge De Lima - Azambuja & Cia. (1975)
05. Terceiro Ato (Romance Teatral) - Antonio Carlos E Jocafi (1975)
06. Quantas Lágrimas - Cristina Buarque (1974)
07. Juventude Transvida - Luiz Melodia (1976)
08. Mercado São José - Arnaud Rodrigues (1976)
09. Verde Que Te Quero Rosa - Cartola (1977)
10. Pensar Pra Que - Bebeto (1975)
11. Samba De Amigo - Amado Maita (1972)
12. Estatutos Da Gafieira - Cravo E Canela (1977)
13. Conde - Miltinho (1969)
14. Papo Furado - Airto (1970)
15. Adeus Ceará - Téo Azevedo (1974)
16. De Noite, Na Cama - Erasmo Carlos (1971)
17. Santeiro - Wilson Das Neves E Conjunto (1976)
18. Tchuna Marucaiaô - Os Originais Do Samba (1972)
19. Nação - Clara Nunes (1982)
20. Escadas da Penha - João Bosco (1975)
21. Socorro! - O Grupo (1971)
22. Quero Alegria - Emilio Santiago (1975)
23. Numa Esquina De Hanoi - Djavan (1978)
24. Onda Natureza - Bedeu (1983)
"HELP", I've been taken hostage by this music called SAMBA. Worst things have happened though. Plus, I'm a willing captive.
You're maybe thinking, "Can he surprise us with more delectable goodies?" Well, just when you thought I couldn't surprise you anymore, I'm gonna drop one on 'ya...ha ha. Also, these 6 volumes equal 144 songs & 7 hours of music. If anyone is looking for a HIGHLY SPIRITED DJ, I'm for hire anywhere on planet E & yes, I'll play your Bar or Bat Mitzvah. Come on Mom & Dad & treat your special 13 year old to a Samba bash.
St. Julian Samba Showdown 6 by J Thyme '07
01. Doca - Trio Mocotó (1975)
02. Espelho - João Nogueira (1977)
03. Ritual - Leci Brandão (1976)
04. Vermelho, Azul E Branco - Os Originais Do Samba (1975)
05. Para De Chorar A Toa - Giovana (1975)
06. Marejou - Martinho Da Vila (1972)
07. Mulher De Malandro - Geraldo Filme (1980)
08. Deixe Que E Dengo Dela - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1973)
09. Minha Illusao - Dominguinhos (1976)
10. Maria Madalena da Portela - Candeia (1977)
11. Perdoa - Paulinho da Viola (1977)
12. Pra Que Dinheiro - Jair Rodriguez (1969)
13. Disse Me Disse - Manoel Conceição (1975)
14. Cabra Criada - João Bosco (1979)
15. Estrada De Canindé - Odair Cabeça De Poeta & Grupo Capote (1975)
16. Frevo Mulher - Amelinha (1978)
17. Se Você Quiser - Ed Lincoln (1971)
18. Morre O Burro, Fica O Homem - Osmar Milito (1973)
19. Subindo O Espigao - Betinho (1974)
20. Minha Bahia Quero Ver - João Só (1971)
21. Ventos De Junho - Emilio Santiago (1978)
22. Pra Que Brigar - Grupo Manifesto (1968)
23. Fato Consumado - Djavan (1976)
24. Pois E, Sei La - Abilio Manoel (1970)
Some things are just ready to happen & so they do. I present this volume in keeping with the flow of energy of the season...Spring! So here's to Spring as it becomes Summer. Since Spring is the time of year when everything is in bloom, I present yet another bouquet of musical pickings. I will beg off with continuity from volume to volume, but ask that you consider these a roundup of some of the better tracks from that era "The '70's". I do my very best to make sure each volume is full of surprises. I hope you say after listening to this, "Boy, where did he find that one?". Let's see, or should I say "Let's hear". Wishing massive Sambas to your Summer or if you're in Brasil, Winter. Enjoy!
St. Julian Samba Showdown 7 by J Thyme '07
01. Turbilhão - Toquinho & Vinícius (1975)
02. Minha Esquina - Emilo Santiago (1977)
03. Bom Dia, Boa Tarde, Boa Noite, Amor - MPB-4 (1972)
04. Amor De Doia Anos - João Nogueira (1979)
05. Disse Me Disse - Orlandivo (1976)
06. Porta Aberta - Eduardo e Silvinha Araújo (1981)
07. Yndaya-E - Chico Batera (1979)
08. Que Pelicula - Nonato Buzar (1970)
09. Coisa De Louco - Wilson Simonal (1975)
10. Eu Reu Me Condeno - Helio Matheus (1973)
11. Morena - Roberto Nascimento (1975)
12. Menina, Voce Tem Muito Que Aprender - Silvio Cesar (1971)
13. So Pra Chatear - Pedrinho Rodriques E Os Nacionais (1973)
14. Tenho Sede - Dominguinhos (1976)
15. Preta-Porter De Tafetá - João Bosco (1984)
16. Visco De Jaca - Martinho Da Vila (1974)
17. Acedito Sim - Noriel Vilela (1968)
18. Saudade e Flores - Os Originais do Samba (1974)
19. Maria Bela, Maria Feia - Leci Brandão (1976)
20. Samba Portador Da Alegria - Sapoty da Mangueira (1975)
21. Dendalei - Baiano E Os Novos Caetanos (1974)
22. A Hora E Essa - Célia (1972)
23. Não Peça Perdão - Tom & Dito (1971)
24. Capoeira do Arnaldo - Luiz Carlos Parana (1967)
P.S. A special thank you to Zecalouro @ Lorinox blogspot & SABADABADA blogspot for their contributions to this volume & of course Greg Cas.
If there was ever any doubt about the STRENGTHS of the SAMBA SCENE, let those ghosts be guided back towards the light of CLARITY. I wave my hand & ask that all mystery be transformed into the beautiful truth of Earths rightful place of dance ecstasy.
I present these nine volumes in the hope of giving the whole world a wonderful focused look at the music of Brasil in the 70's. A fantastic time for music when so many lovely styles are being composed & recorded with the greatest care & respect for the EAR. Here's to your EAR. Enjoy!
St. Julian Samba Showdown 9 by J Thyme '07
01. A Barra E Uma So - Abaetê (1977)
02. Tiê - Agora E Samba (1974)
03. Ponta Negra - Beto Guedes / Danilo Caymmi / Novelli / Toninho Horta (1973)
04. Pintura Sem Arte - Candeia (1978)
05. A Hora E Essa - Célia (1972)
06. As Pastoras - César Costa Filho (1977)
07. Adeus Maria Fulo - Claudette Soares (1974)
08. Baiao Violado - Dominguinhos (1976)
09. Tô Chegando Ja Cheguei - Eliana Pittman (1974)
10. Rio Carnaval Dos Caravais - Elza Soares (1972)
11. E Hora - Emilo Santiago (1977)
12. Songa Monga - Free Son (1971)
13. A Morte Do Chico Preto - Geraldo Filme (1980)
14. Parati - João Bosco (1979)
15. Estrela Miuda - João Do Vale (1981)
16. Samba Rubro-Negro - João Nogueira (1979)
17. Danca do Bole Bole - João Roberto Kelly (1977)
18. Oxum - Johnny Alf (1978)
19. A Flor E O Samba - Martinho Da Vila (1971)
20. Cabeca Que Nao Tem Juizo - Os Originais do Samba (1974)
21. Jurar Com Lagrimas - Paulinho Da Viola (1970)
22. Nosso Encontro - Sivuca (1979)
23. Capim Barba De Bode - Tom & Dito (1971)
24. Paciencia - Trama (1973)
P.S. I always feel a little sad at the end of one of these visits with friends. It's always so sad to see them go, but they leave such happy memories that it's always a pleasure to come back & visit them again. Cheers!
Well, here we go again. As soon as I can sort through some albums, I'm ready to just line up those fantastic tracks for maximum enjoyment. Please remember that I'm here to entertain myself firstly. I just like to share my studies with those who happen to be going this way too. Enjoy the journey & remember to thank your tour guide...ME & yourself for being so adventurous. Would someone please pass the suntan lotion?
St. Julian Samba Showdown 10 by J Thyme '07
01. Toalha Da Saudade - Batatinha (1976)
02. Vou Partir - Nelson Cavaquinho (1973)
03. Lamento da Lavadeira - Pedrinho Rodriques E Os Nacionais (1973)
04. Quem é Do Mar Não Enjoa - Mané do Cavaco (1973)
05. História Da Capoeira - Geraldo Filme (1980)
06. Acalentava - Candeia (1975)
07. Mulher Ingrata - Os Originais Do Samba (1975)
08. Pelo Telefone - Os Cinco Crioulos (1967)
09. Maioria Sem Nenhum - Paulinho da Viola & Elton Medeiros (1968)
10. Disfarça e Chora - Cartola (1974)
11. Leonor - Rildo Hora (1971)
12. Não Vem - Nelson, Candeia, Guilherme e Elton (1977)
13. Dente Por Dente - Martinho Da Vila (1974)
14. Volta Por Cima - Noite Ilustrada (1976)
15. Martin Cererê - Ze Catimba & Brasil Ritmo (1972)
16. Agarre Seu Homem - Silvio Cesar (1977)
17. Nem De Ouro, Nem De Lama - Claudette Soares (1974)
18. Lanterna - Carlos Lyra (1974)
19. Kaáuada - Marku Ribas (1976)
20. Galope - Luiz Gonzaga Jr. (1974)
21. Se Não Souber Dizer - Bezerra da Silva (1976)
22. Baiana - Ely Camargo (1974)
23. Cacude, Cacunda - Noriel Vilela (1968)
24. Espere Oh Nega - João Nogueira (1977)
P.S. One of the reason I enjoying creating these compilations is to prove to myself my hearts ability to keep expanding & growing. It is an exercise in atunement & heart awareness. Oh & remember that gifts are to be shared & not hoarded. My gift to myself & you.
Let me add, this sounds really nice with headphones. Please listen for the panning on some of these tracks. My friends who enjoy the CUICA will be very happy with the selections here!
Here's another tally. 264 songs & 13 hours of music. Now that's getting into the Carnival spirit! I dare 'ya to play all 11 volumes at once. Cheers!
St. Julian Samba Showdown 11 by J Thyme '07
01. Canto Sul - Abaetê (1977)
02. História de Pescador - Alcione (1975)
03. Fraqueza - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1974)
04. Perereca - Baiano E Os Novos Caetanos (1975)
05. Hora Da Razo - Batatinha (1976)
06. Deixa Mudar - Burnier & Cartier (1974)
07. Vai Pro Lado De Lá - Candeia (1971)
08. Massa Falida - César Costa Filho (1975)
09. Pecadora - Conjunto a Voz do Morro (1965)
10. Preco De Cada Um - Cravo E Canela (1977)
11. Eles Querem Amar - Claudette Soares (1975)
12. Destino Traquino - Dominguinhos (1976)
13. Trocando Em Miudos - Emilio Santiago (1979)
14. Nem é Bom Falar / Adeus - Ismael Silva (1973)
15. Em Nome Da Lua, Da Mulata E Do Samba - Jair Rodriguez (1969)
16. La Tres De La Manana - Jayme Marques (1977)
17. Pot-Pourri De Partido Alto - Jorginho do Império (1975)
18. Patrão, Prenda O Seu Gado - Martinho Da Vila (1974)
19. Rei Vadio - Nelson Cavaquinho (1973)
20. Tudo Azul n'América Do Sul - Os Bichos (1971)
21. As "Moca" - Osmar Milito e Trama (1973)
22. Madeira De Lei - Sonia Santos (1975)
23. Marina - Synval Silva (1973)
24. Calangueando - Téo Azevedo (1974)
P.S. A big thank you to all the Samba Blogs out there who made this volume possible & thank you Greg!
The big surprise for me on this volume is Track 08. "Massa Falida" by César Costa Filho. Amazing cut!
One last thing, this is my thesis on Samba & I'm gonna grade myself on this paper. 5 stars!
Stay tuned for volume 12.
St. Julian Samba Showdown 12 by J Thyme '07
01. Cabeça Feita - Nadinho Da Ilha (1976)
02. Confidências De Um Sambista - Os Originais Do Samba (1975)
03. Samba De Orly - Chico Buarque (1973)
04. Festa Do Bonfim - Pery Ribeiro (1979)
05. Maré Mansa - Eliana Pittman (1974)
06. Só Não Viu Quem Não Ficou - Cyro Aguiar (1975)
07. O Saci-Pererê - Rildo Hora (1971)
08. Tristeza Do Sambista - Geraldo Filme (1980)
09. Antes Ele Do Que Eu - Beth Carvalho (1976)
10. Moro Na Roca - Pedrinho Rodrigues e Os Nacionais (1972)
11. Muito Amor E Liberdade - Bebeto (1975)
12. Conselhos De Vadio - Candeia (1975)
13. A Rosa - Trio Mocotó (1975)
14. Berimbau Amarelo - Sonia Santos (1975)
15. Se você jurar / Para me livrar do mal - Ismael Silva (1973)
16. Mas Que Doidice - Dóris Monteiro (1971)
17. Babá De luxo - Batatinha (1976)
18. Serrado - Celeste (1978)
19. Só Tem Lugar Pra Você - Burnier & Cartier (1974)
20. Epitafio Deum Sambista - Leci Brandão (1976)
21. Não Sou Valente - Bezerra da Silva (1976)
22. Perder e Ganhar - Paulinho da Viola (1971)
23. Enganadora - Monarco (1976)
24. Io Io - João Nogueira (1979)
P.S. Thank you great spirit for co-creating these with me! These mixes are my psychic bridge between North America & South America. The building is complete...dance across to Nirvana.
A big, big thank you to all my friends online who made this volume possible. Teamwork! A nice network of Sambistas at work making this possible. Bravo to all you collectors out there!
I'll add also that the RARITY of these LP's & these mixes borders on the MIRACULOUS!!
I'll ask you to consider the rarity of the material that I have to work with. The 70's is a "Finite" era! Let's look at these selections instead as an experiment in continuity. I'll be truthful here by saying that I didn't think I could make another volume. With "Spirit" all things are possible. Thank you "Great Spirit" for working through me. I hope you enjoy this 13th installment of the series. Also, the intention of this series is not a "DANCE MIX", but a very nice look at some key albums of the 70's MPB/Samba scene. An experiment in continuity. OK?
St. Julian Samba Showdown 13 by J Thyme '08
01. Clube Do Samba - João Nogueira (1983)
02. Pra Bater Minha Viola - Elton Medeiros (1973)
03. Mais Do Que Eu - Elza Soares (1972)
04. Juizo Final - Nelson Cavaquinho (1973)
05. Alegria Perdida - Yôyô De Yáyá - Candeia (1975)
06. Esta Com Raiva - João Roberto Kelly (1974)
07. Ser Mulher (Amelia De Verdade) - Leci Brandão (1976)
08. Paisagem - Nadinho Da Ilha (1976)
09. Abrigo de Vagabundos - Adoniran Barbosa (1974)
10. Morte Do Amor - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1971)
11. Crioulo Sambista - Synval Silva (1973)
12. Calango Do Seo Tiburcio - Os Originais do Samba (1975)
13. Deixa O Carnaval Passar - Jorginho do Império (1975)
14. Orgulho De Bom Sambista - Johnny Alf (1978)
15. Que Nega É Essa - Trio Mocotó (1975)
16. Crítica - Cyro Aguiar (1975)
17. Amor Em Jacuma - Cravo E Canela (1977)
18. Tribo De Carajás (Aruanã Açu) - Martinho Da Vila (1974)
19. Amor Dos Outros - Giovana (1975)
20. Vou Chegando - Riachão (1973)
21. Carnaval Nao Envelhece - Jair Rodrigues (1973)
22. Branco De Paz - Dora Lopes (1974)
23. Tradição (Vai No Bexiga Pra Ver) - Geraldo Filme (1980)
24. Antonico - Ismael Silva (1973)
P.S. There's a name for people who like this series...Brasil Nuts!
This volume was made possible through listener feedback. Thank you Arnaud for your "Vision".
Also, they say 13 is "unlucky". I'd say this one is a "Lucky 13". The chance of 24 of these gems lined up in a row is "Pure Luck".
I want you to know more then anything when you hear this series what God's love feels like, because that's how I feel when I listen to these. VERY LOVED BY EARTH & THE UNIVERSE! Enjoy!
St. Julian Samba Showdown 14 by J Thyme '08
01. Salario Minimo - Hemani De Alvarenga (1976)
02. Se Você Quiser - Beth Carvalho (1976)
03. Resolução - Nadinho Da Ilha (1976)
04. Pra Quà Ficar - Angela Maria (1975)
05. Chove E Não Molha - Elton Medeiros (1977)
06. Amor Perfeito - Elza Soares (1972)
07. Me Diga Teu Nome / Boa Viagem - Ismael Silva (1973)
08. Me Chamo João Só - João Só (1971)
09. Rola Bola - Emilio Santiago (1979)
10. Maos Libertas - Leci Brandão (1976)
11. Benedita - Jorginho do Império (1975)
12. Canto Da Sereia - Claudia Regina (1973)
13. Hippie de Botique - João Roberto Kelly (1974)
14. Iilha De Maré - Alcione (1977)
15. A Sorte do Benedito - Batatinha (1976)
16. Voltei - (Wilson Bombeiro e Anézio) Minha Portela Querida (1972)
17. Garoto De Pobre - Geraldo Filme (1980)
18. Saudade Do Passado - Mano Cedio da Viola (1976)
19. Sou Mais O Samba - Candeia e Ivone Lara (1977)
20. Fufú - Riachão (1973)
21. O Mar Serenou - Clara Nunes (1975)
22. Prova de Carinho - Adoniran Barbosa (1974)
23. Minha Festa - Nelson Cavaquinho (1973)
24. Saudades De La - Djalma Dias (1974)
P.S. If I told you that Sky Father Shango/Xangô had bestowed upon me the right to emit lightning bolts from my fingertips, you'd probably think I was crazy. Oh well, but welcome to wonderful mythical world of Candomblé. If I say that I go into trance & become possessed by the dieties when I put these compilations together, then IT IS SO! BOOM!
This page is about magic. Dance Magic! The sound of the Samba Bass drum is the very sound of Shango/Xangô.
"I put a spell on you". That spell? That dance ecstasy may surround you while listening to this mighty procession of the Gods of Heavenly song & dance!
Hi friends. Well, the blooming season unfolds for us with yet another musical bouquet. I'll ask that you NOT pardon the ever returning cast of artists who've become the "Norm" around here. I lay these out as if this were a radio broadcast & seek only a sense of continuity with what I present. For those of us who've come to enjoy this series, may volume 15 live up to the overall quality of the proceedings presented in previous issues. It has been been my greatest pleasure to be a guide of sorts, even though I can not get my tongue around that beautiful, exotic Portuguese to speak it. Oh well, my heart is in it. To Spring & in my book, that's Aires, Taurus & Gemini. I'm a Taurus & this series is presented by a "Child Of The Spring" To others of this season. Cheers!
St. Julian Samba Showdown 15 by J Thyme '08
01. Clara De Ovo - Duduca (1976)
02. Escasseia - Beth Carvalho (1981)
03. Agua No Feijao - Jorginho do Império (1976)
04. Vem Mais Devagar - Elton Medeiros (1973)
05. Do Jeito Que o Rei Mandou - Brasilian Singers (1974)
06. Suplica - João Nogueira (1979)
07. Não Quero Entrar - Adoniran Barbosa (1975)
08. Fora Do Meu Samba - Batatinha (1976)
09. Certeza - Jair Rodrigues (1973)
10. Descarrego - Emilo Santiago (1979)
11. Pisa Nesse Chao Com Forca - Giovana (1975)
12. Paz - (Ivancué) Minha Portela Querida (1972)
13. Yaô - Nadinho Da Ilha (1976)
14. Uma Praça E Você - Os Originais do Samba (1971)
15. Renascer Das Cinzas - Martinho Da Vila (1974)
16. Sindorere - Clara Nunes (1974)
17. Feliz E Quem Sabe Esperar - Noel Rosa de Oliveria (1976)
18. Aruandê - Alcione (1975)
19. Sinha Dona De Casa - Candeia (1975)
20. Até Amanhã - Riachão (1973)
21. Quando Vim De Minas - Xangô Da Mangueira (1972)
22. Sambista Apaixonado - Noite Ilustrada (1976)
23. Mulher Sem Alma - Nelson Cavaquinho (1973)
24. Cafune - Téca & Ricardo (1976)
Hey everybody! Well, it's that birthday time of the year for me & I feel like opening my first gift. So here it is & I'm overjoyed to have onlookers to share it with it. Why stop at 18 hours of Samba when the true carnival spirit would surely be more like 19 or 20. Right? Those of us who live in regions where that darn sun just won't seem to come out, then this installment of the series will be for some like the VERY SUN ITSELF. I drop these volumes because this is truly my tempo & yes, I live my life in a carnival line...HEY! Happy birthday to me! I hope you enjoy my gift?
P.S. If you happen to be listening to this in public transit, please let out a big smile to the world. It's always ever so welcomed! Peace onto the soul of humanity & I not only mean it, but I kind it too. Quero Alegria (I Want Joy)
Thank you Greg & Moos & Zeca & all of my buddies online who added to the proceedings herein. We rock.
One last thing. About that Giovana. When you're mining, we don't leave nuggets behind when we find the MOTHERLOAD.
So if Giovana was on my baseball team, she would certainly be MOST VALUABLE PLAYER! Geraldo Filme & those BADASS MOFOs Candeia & Nadinho Da Ilha too.
St. Julian Samba Showdown 16 by J Thyme '08
01. A Lua E O Mar - Jorginho do Império (1976)
02. Seu Rio, Meu Mar - Alcione (1978)
03. Tive Sim - Cartola (1974)
04. Sirie - Sapoty da Mangueira (1975)
05. Um Certo Dia Para 21 - Paulinho da Viola [Minha Portela Querida] (1972)
06. Só Chora Quem Ama - Nadinho Da Ilha (1976)
07. Quero Alegria - Beth Carvalho (1976)
08. Concurso Para Enfarte - Oswaldo dos Santos (1976)
09. Produto Nacional - Samba 4 (1974)
10. Cresca E Apareca - Os Originais do Samba (1975)
11. Um Frevo Novo - Brazilian Singers (1973)
12. Notícia - Nelson Cavaquinho (1977)
13. Não Tem Jeito Que Dê Jeito - Dominguinhos (1977)
14. Fittipaldiando - Nonato E Seu Conjunto (1974)
15. Meu Dinheiro Nao Da - Candeia e Catoni [Minha Portela Querida] (1972)
16. E Por Aqui - Walter Rosa (1976)
17. No Morro Da Casa Verde - Adoniran Barbosa (1975)
18. Fonte Da Bica - Cyro Aguiar (1975)
19. Cada Macaco No Seu Galho - Riachão (1973)
20. Brigaram pra Valer - Os Cinco Crioulos (1967)
21. Maria Rita - João Nogueira (1978)
22. Mineira - Giovana (1975)
23. Desafio - Ary Araujo (1975)
24. Santas Almas Benditas - Leci Brandão (1978)
That last track - Santas Almas Benditas by Leci Brandão has one of the most bizarre uses of Samba bass drum placement. It's playing in the opposite timing in an off-beat. Let's see who's paying attention?
Somewhere within this series is a story of FLOW. If you've flowed this far then thank you to those of us who flow with this procession.
Hey Everybody! Good budd "J" on the selector once again. As long as I can find 24 yummy goodies to place in an installment, then we're gonna keep it keepin' on. Those friends of this Samba-hotspot who were around last year at this time will remember that I love to drop one as the seasons change. So here's to summer! The biggest thank you to those DJ's who contributed to the success of this series. Thank you Greg for the tip on the Odair Cabeça De Poeta & Grupo Capote track "Isso E Bonito" & the Sonia Lemos & the Nonato E Seu Conjunto additions to this issue. DJ Moos sends massive hugs to this volume with the Beth Carvalho, Jorginho do Império, Clara Nunes & the Pedrinho Rodrigues e os Nacionais, as well as the tip on the Maria Creuza. Thanks Moos.
As always, big love to Loronix, Toque Musical, Abracadabra - LPs Do Brasil, Acervo Origens, Capsula da Cultura, Na Onda Do Samba-Rock, Som Barato & Quimsy's Mumbo Jumbo for their support in making this miracle of broadcasting a reality. The truth of this compilation series is that it is a major co-creation with Samba lovers world-wide. May we who get our groove on with the Godly procession of the heavenly messengers of song & dance be delighted by the proceeding herein. Big hugs, Jus
St. Julian Samba Showdown 17 by J Thyme '08
01. Visual - Beth Carvalho (1978)
02. Assim É Demais - Jorginho do Império (1976)
03. Seca Do Nordeste - Clara Nunes (1972)
04. Não Chora Meu Amor - Pedrinho Rodrigues e os Nacionais (1973)
05. Bambeia - Sonia Lemos (1976)
06. Isso E Bonito - Odair Cabeça De Poeta & Grupo Capote (1976)
07. Ilu Aye - (Cabana e Norival Reis) Minha Portela Querida (1972)
08. Chega Pra La - Maria Creuza (1976)
09. Espera - Batatinha (1976)
10. Dor De Cotovelo - Nonato E Seu Conjunto (1978)
11. Eu Não Toco Berimbau - Elza Soares (1973)
12. Falador Passa Mal - Os Originais do Samba (1973)
13. Ingratidao - Ismael Silva (1976)
14. Mesa De Bar - Carmem Costa (1973)
15. Visita Triste - Nelson Cavaquinho (1973)
16. O Mundo Encantado De Monteiro Lobato - Os Cinco Crioulos (1967)
17. Ta Chegando A Hora - Nonato Buzar (1975)
18. Oferenda Aos Orixás - Sonia Lemos (1975)
19. Não Chora Meu Amor - (Casquinha) Minha Portela Querida (1972)
20. Era Uma Vez Um Homem E Uma Mulher - Silvio Cesar (1971)
21. Dentro De Vocé - Emilio Santiago (1982)
22. Alerta Geral - Alcione (1978)
23. Vá Cuidar Da Sua Vida - Geraldo Filme (1980)
24. Natureza - Leci Brandão (1978)
P.S. I dedicate this volume to my gracious host Arnaud & his beautiful city Paris for opening its arms to me. Much love!
One more tally. 409 songs = 20 hours of music.
For newer friends of this page who are not familiar with the Samba form, please start with the earlier volumes of this series. They're more of a mix of MPB & Samba. The later issues of this series are leaning more towards the Samba because I feel this genre is a bit under-discovered & it's my aim to highlight this lovely movement just a bit.
Hey everybody & hope all are enjoying the spring season. Well, here I am again with another volume of the St. Julian Samba Showdown series. This very special post goes out to my buddy in Paris, Arnaud. Happy birthday Arnaud. I start this volume with a favorite artist of Arnaud & myself, Dóris Monteiro. Here is a great example of the the Samba song "Maita" written by Giovana from her LP "Qem Tem Carinho Me Leva" from 1975 performed here in a yummy MPB production by Dóris. This post also goes out to Aline. Thank you for your support Aline. I'm glad some people are as in love with this magnificent form as I am. Let's see if the fans of this series find this installment of the Samba Showdown up to the standard of the genre? To the return of the light which Spring always is! Let's Samba.
St. Julian Samba Showdown 19 by J Thyme '09
01. Maita - Dóris Monteiro (1976)
02. Conversa Fiada - Joãozinho da Pecadora (1972)
03. Até o Dia de São Nunca - Alcione (1975)
04. Eu Sei Portela - João Nogueira (1974)
05. Carnaval - Beth Carvalho (1969)
06. Velhos Tempos - Os Originais Do Samba (1975)
07. O Assunto E Berimbau - Jackson Do Pandeiro & Almira (1964)
08. Três Macaquinhos - Baiano & Os Novos Caetanos (1975)
09. Maristela - Azambuja & CIA (1975)
10. Proteçao - Aparecida (1976)
11. Exaltação A Mangueira-Agora É Cinza-Maracangalha-Cidade Maravilhosa - Manoel Conceição (1975)
12. O Dia Se Zangou - Jovelina Pérola Negra (1986)
13. Lágrima Morena - Roberto Ribeiro (1985)
14. Cantei Só Pra Distrair - Dona Ivone Lara (1979)
15. Charlie Brown - Caçulinha (1975)
16. Samba Da Pà - Elza Soares (1972)
17. Trem Das Onze - Adoniran Barbosa (1974)
18. As Quatro Estacoes Do Ano - Jair Rodrigues (1973)
19. Fim De Papo - Renata Lú (1971)
20. Supermanoela - Betinho (1974)
21. Cantiga De Errante - Regininha e A Turma da Pilantragem (1969)
22. Amor Verdadeiro - Nadinho Da Ilha (1976)
23. Velho Ateu - Eduardo Gudin (1978)
24. Sonho De Um Carnaval - Alaide Costa (1965)
File Under: Samba/MPB
P.S. I barely managed to squeeze by with a 70 minute CD rip of this. It was 45 seconds over 70 minutes, but will burn as a CD. For those who still use CD's?
My goal here with this series is to reveal all tracks & the LP's that they come from & completely show these albums off by dipping back to key albums & highlighting them in a round-up. I seek a sense of continuity from volume to volume. As I've said before, that I consider this a type of reporting. I'm just here to take a good focused look at the 70's in Brasil.
Also, the original version of "Maita" by Giovana can be found on volume 4 of the Showdown series.
Well folks, here's the 20th installment of the Samba Showdown series. I know that there's only a few die-hard fans of this series, so this post is for us I guess? I'm going to let the newer fans of Samba & MPB catch up with those of us who can easily listen to this glorious musical form endlessly. Should I see the list of listener feedback increase in the coming months, then I might be able to squeeze another volume out of my collection. My hope is that your feet will be tapping along with the rhythmic bliss contained on these tracks. I actually see the shining face of God when I hear this happy, upbeat and endlessly delightful music. This is a very heart centered music and I find that it connects me deeply to my heart. Bliss happens at the center! Ahhhhhh.
St. Julian Samba Showdown 20 by J Thyme '09
01. Avenida Fechada - Elton Medeiros (1973)
02. Meus Outros Anos - Sonia Lemos (1975)
03. Caçoeira - Nonato E Seu Conjunto (1974)
04. Cadà Mariza - Leci Brandão (1975)
05. Sonho De Bamba - João Nogueira (1974)
06. Rala Rala - Maria Creuza (1976)
07. Alegria - Ismael Silva (1973)
08. Tristeza Pe No Chao - Clara Nunes (1973)
09. Sou Da Madrugada - Jair Rodrigues (1973)
10. Dia De Graça - Candeia (1978)
11. Eu Vou Sorrir - Iracy Serra (1976)
12. Só Queria Ser Feliz - Beth Carvalho (1975)
13. Mulher, Patrão E Cachaça - Adoniran Barbosa (1975)
14. A Dona Do Primeiro Andar - Os Originais do Samba (1975)
15. Loteca - Cravo E Canela (1977)
16. Bufete E Cascudo - Emilio Santiago (1979)
17. Fica Doido Varrido - Os Cinco Crioulos (1967)
18. Chega De Enganar A Nêga - Betinho (1974)
19. Deixa A Cana Moer - Nadinho Da Ilha (1976)
20. Tataruê - Giovana (1975)
21. Na Baixa Do Sapateiro - Manoel Conceição (1975)
22. Batuque Feiticeiro - Alcione (1975)
23. O Sol Nascerá - Cartola (1975)
24. Samba Da Legalidade - Nara Leão (1965)
File Under: Samba/MPB
P.S. This post goes out to our friend of this page Greg Caz. Greg happy birthday & thank you so much for all of your guidance & support. You're a Bro'.
Also, I've done my very best to make each of these volume as listenable as possible. This page is my love affair with Brasilian Samba & MPB. I hope I've given you the listener a good idea of how good this genre can be?
I had issues with the quality of a few tracks & the sequencing, so I re-present volume 21.
For fans of this page. I hope you enjoy.
P.S. This is created & shared in the spirit of fun. This is what I listen to & I'm glad that a few others seem to enjoy what I find to be listenable. If I can find another 24 tracks, then I'll be back.
Godbless the person to take on "Musica Popular Brasileira". It is one awesome songbook. I'm giving it my my best effort.
St. Julian Samba Showdown 21 by J Thyme '09
01. Rasgo Seda a Bessa - Paulo Diniz (1973)
02. Banho De Manjericão - Clara Nunes (1979)
03. De Rosas E Coisas Amigas - João Nogueira (1974)
04. Quem Lucrou Fui Eu - Maria Creuza (1976)
05. Reliquias Da Bahia - Pelado da Mangueira (1976)
06. Vingança - Beth Carvalho (1977)
07. Malvina - Adoniran Barbosa (1975)
08. Vivo Isolado Do Mundo/Amor Não É Brinquedo - Candeia (1978)
09. Vou Levanto Meu Canto - Os Originais do Samba (1977)
10. Sem Essa - Golden Boys (1971)
11. Eu Hein, Rosa - Dóris Monteiro (1976)
12. Vamos Balançar - Geraldo Filme (1980)
13. No Pagode do Vava - Paulinho da Viola (1972)
14. Marca No Pé - Batatinha (1976)
15. A Cuíca Está Roncando - Caco Velho (1963)
16. O Que Aconteceu, Menina - Dominguinhos (1977)
17. Festa De Rato Não Sobra Queijo - Velha (1975)
18. Maca Do Rosto - Djavan (1976)
19. Assobio - Nadinho Da Ilha (1976)
20. Pressentimento - Elton Medeiros (1973)
21. Filho De Lemanjá - Miltinho (1969)
22. Espera - Alcione (1975)
23. Não Sei O Que é Que Faça - Manezinho Araújo (1974)
24. Cavaleiro Andante - Abilio Manoel (1970)
For me these compilations are like a flower which keeps blooming endlessly.
For those that downloaded this back in August of '09, please try this update.
I had a little few problems with the quality of some of the tracks on this volume & have reupped this with track fixes. With all the love I can gather for my undying devotion to Musica Popular Brasillia. Just when I think my collection can yield no more...Voilà.
St. Julian Samba Showdown 22 by J Thyme '09
01. Só Quem Cantou Fui Eu - Os Originais do Samba (1977)
02. Garota De Copacabana - Edson Frederico (1975)
03. Choro Chorao - Ademilde Fonseca (1975)
04. Toro de Lagrimas - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1974)
05. Depois Eu Digo - Abilio Manoel (1972)
06. Rosa Tristeza - Batatinha (1976)
07. Ouro Desça Do Seu Trono / Mil Réis - Candeia (1978)
08. Regra Tres - Dóris Monteiro (1972)
09. Só Queria Saber - Bebeto (1975)
10. Pode Guardar As Panelas - Paulinho Da Viola (1979)
11. Saco De Feijão - Beth Carvalho (1977)
12. Aliás - Ismael Silva (1973)
13. Nana Roxa - Manezinho Araújo (1974)
14. É Com Esse Que Eu Vou - Pedro Caetano (1974)
15. O Homem Sem Mulher Não Vale Nada - Caçulinha (1975)
16. Estória De Um Sambista - Germano Mathias (1968)
17. Triste Margarida (Samba Do Metrô) - Adoniran Barbosa (1975)
18. Malvadeza Durão - Zé Ketti (1973)
19. Não Pise No Meu Calo - Cyro Aguiar (1975)
20. Cuidado - Conjunto a Voz do Morro (1966)
21. Noticia - Nelson Cavaquinho (1972)
22. Cheguei Pra Ficar - Dominguinhos (1976)
23. Miradouro - Paulo Diniz (1973)
24. Eu Vou Pra Lá - Geraldo Filme (1980)
P.S. I dedicate this volume to my two favorite blogs over the past few years, Abracadabra LP's do Brasil & Toque Musical.
My favorite track on this volume is track 12 "Aliás" by Ismael Silva with it's very crisp hi-hat work, so listen for that element. Also, track 3 "Choro Chorao" by Ademilde Fonseca is an amazing example of the Choro style. Very different & what a voice. Miss Fonseca's talent stretches 25 years before this date, so she has the power of experience in her stylings.
A post-Thanksgiving & Pre-Christmas offering for fans of this series. Happy holidays! For friends in colder climates, a little something to remember summer by.
Some really outstanding numbers here. My favs this volume are the lovely & funky "A Gente E O Mar" by Nonato E Seu Conjunto. The yummy Samba of "Tamborim" by Zé Ketti. The trancy Samba-march of Elton Medeiros performing "Sabdália Dourada" & the glorious Samba-Pop of "Rose" by Ederaldo Gentil. So many fine MPB tracks from the Jazz-pop of "Palhaçada" by the ever amazing Dóris Monteiro to the Jazz-scat of "Barendo A Porta" by Emilio Santiago to the Rock-pop of "Tamanco Malandrinho" by Tom e Dito to the groovy "Me Criei Na Beira-Mar" by Ely Arcoverde. Overall, a nice mix of the best of 70's Samba & MPB. As always, enjoy!
St. Julian Samba Showdown 23 by J Thyme '09
01. Alvorada - Cartola (1975)
02. Palhaçada - Dóris Monteiro (1973)
03. A Gente E O Mar - Nonato E Seu Conjunto (1978)
04. Tamborim - Zé Ketti (1979)
05. Não É De Nada - Synval Silva (1973)
06. Sabdália Dourada - Elton Medeiros (1973)
07. Barendo A Porta - Emilio Santiago (1975)
08. Amor De Malandro - João Nogueira (1975)
09. Tamanco Malandrinho - Tom e Dito (1974)
10. Flamengo 2 x 1 - Arnoldo Medeiros (1975)
11. Rose - Ederaldo Gentil (1975)
12. Foi Deus - Cyro Aguiar (1975)
13. Me Criei Na Beira-Mar - Ely Arcoverde (1972)
14. As Forças Da Natureza - Clara Nunes (1977)
15. Irerê - César Costa Filho (1978)
16. Com Licença, Moço - Ruy Maurity (1973)
17. Superamor - Carlos Lyra (1975)
18. E Deixa O Relogio Andar - Osmar Milito (1971)
19. Onde Está - Caco Velho (1963)
20. Olho Por Olho - Beth Carvalho (1977)
21. Indecisão - Batatinha (1976)
22. Não Pode Ser Verdade - Alberto Lonato (1972)
23. Sorriso de Bamba - Os Originais do Samba (1972)
24. Samba em Paz / A Voz do Morro - Alcione (1975)
Question? How do you eat an elephant?
Answer. One bite at a time.
That's what I attempt to do with the GREAT BRASILIAN SONGBOOK. Digest it... one bite at a time.
Let's take a couple nibbles. With love, from Justin Thyme. For fans of 70's MPB. Enjoy!
St. Julian Samba Showdown 24 by J Thyme (2010)
01. Dona Flor e Seus Dois Maridos - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1974)
02. Nega Louca - Zeca Do Trombone & Roberto Sax (1976)
03. Ora, Acho Que Vou-Me Embora - Dóris Monteiro (1972)
04. Sou Batuqueiro Sim - Zuzuca (1972)
05. Deus Não Castiga Ninguém - Beth Carvalho (1977)
06. Fotos e Fatos - Elton Medeiros (1973)
07. Quero Voltar Pro Nordeste - Marlene Vidal (1978)
08. Uma Rosa Pra Dita - Os Incriveis (1973)
09. Boi da Cara Preta (Eneida, Amor e Fantasia) - Jair Rodrigues (1973)
10. Forró Do Sertão - Dominguinhos (1976)
11. Lourdinha - Nonato E Seu Conjunto (1978)
12. Armadilha - Totonho (1978)
13. O Bem E O Mal - Os Originais do Samba (1970)
14. Crioula - Jorge Ben (1969)
15. Acende o Candieiro - Adoniran Barbosa (1974)
16. Meu Lema - Clara Nunes (1971)
17. Dingue Li Bangue - Conjunto Sal Da Terra (1972)
18. Em Festa De Rato Nao Sobra Queijo - Velha (Minha Portela Querida) (1972)
19. O Mestre-Sala Dos Mares - João Bosco (1975)
20. A água negra da lagoa - Toquinho (1970)
21. Fatal - Ely Arcoverde (1972)
22. Jamais - Gordurinha (1962)
23. Nó Na Madeira - João Nogueira (1975)
24. Lavadeira - Os Cinco Crioulos (1968)
25. Mulata - Jorginho Pessanha (1971)
P.S. This one goes out to Vee from London. A little something to sip with your tea on a cold, gray, chilly day, mate. Cheers!
Also, I managed to get a 25th track on this volume. All volumes of the series will rip as a CD. OK?
My goal with this series is to make MPB a little more common to our musical language as Jazz, Rock & Roll, Reggae or the Blues. It IS as good as those forms & deserves the world's attention as a style. I'm just here to keep us focused on THAT FACT.
It's spring, so let's enjoy some spring-like sounds. To those who've heard every volume of this series, you have some appetite! All 25 volumes equals 602 songs. That's a very handsome look at Música Popular Brasileira. To MPB & it's awesome musical legacy & recording excellence. Bravo!
Please excuse the slowness of the Célia track. I just really like the quality of her voice, plus it's a nice Joyce composition. Also, I choose the Djavan track to open with because of the amazing keyboard work of Edson Frederico. He sparkles like Champagne. Enjoy!
St. Julian Samba Showdown 25 by J Thyme (2010)
01. Flor De Lis - Djavan (1976)
02. To Be - Célia (1971)
03. Chega Mais - Wando (1975)
04. Esperancas Perdidas - Ely Arcoverde (1972)
05. Minha Crença - Marlene Vidal (1978)
06. Por Nossa Senhora - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1973)
07. Terra Hospitaleira - Riachão (1975)
08. Tempestade de Amor - Totonho (1978)
09. Batendo A Porta - João Nogueira (1974)
10. Pensamento - Cyro Aguiar (1975)
11. Amor A Três - Celeste (1978)
12. Sempre Mangueira - Clara Nunes (1972)
13. Fevereiro Eu Volto - Ederaldo Gentil (1975)
14. Danca Mineira - Emilo Santiago (1977)
15. Meu Ego - Nara Leão (com Erasmo Carlos) (1977)
16. Arrependimento - Os Originais do Samba (1977)
17. Bate Zabumba - Nonato E Seu Conjunto (1978)
18. Ironia - Paulinho da Viola (1972)
19. De Trás Pra Frente - Gordurinha (1962)
20. Dia De Feira - Dóris Monteiro (1976)
21. Coluna Do Meio - Zeca Do Trombone & Roberto Sax (1976)
22. Quero Um Xamego - Dominguinhos (1976)
23. Lá Vem Ela Chorando (Dinheiro Não Há) (1977)
24. Meu Carnaval - Elton Medeiros (1973)
25. Nem Meu Amor - Jorginho Pessanha (1971)
P.S. For fans of this series. I've made some revisions on volumes 21 & 22 of the Samba Showdowns. They're much improved.
If anyone is having any problems with a link please let me know & I'll fix it.
This is my farewell to Summer post. I had promised if I could find another 24 tracks to line up that sounded good to my ears then I would post another installment of the Samba Showdowns. So here it is. This very special post goes out to Jörn from Germany. A little alagria for those gray days. 70 minutes of sunshine here.
I want to add as a person from North America, that I think that music of South America has just as much to offer in the way of a "Song Tradition" as North America and perhaps more so in certain respects!
St. Julian Samba Showdown 26 by J Thyme (2010)
01. Era Uma Vez - Abilio Manoel (1973)
02. A Feira - Dóris Monteiro (1970)
03. Xavante, Lágrimas e Poesia - Wando (1975)
04. Nanar Contigo - Zeca Do Trombone & Roberto Sax (1976)
05. Miro, Pandeiro De Ouro - Ederaldo Gentil (1975)
06. Acorda, Que U Quero Ver - Alcione (1975)
07. Dias De Hoje - Cyro Aguiar (1975)
08. Mudei De Ideia - Antônio Carlos & Jocafi (1971)
09. Alhos E Bugalhos - Maria Creuza (1976)
10. Rabo De Saia - Os Originais do Samba (1977)
11. Nega - Emilo Santiago (1977)
12. O Trem - Zuzuca (1972)
13. Prontos De Poeta - Cartola (1977)
14. Mundo Cão - Germano Mathias (1968)
15. Baiano Não É Palhaço - Gordurinha (1962)
16. Cavala Canga - Nonato E Seu Conjunto (1974)
17. Bahia baiá - Golden Boys (1971)
18. Na Boca De Beco - Djavan (1976)
19. Ijexa - Clara Nunes (1982)
20. Bate-Boca - João Nogueira (1978)
21. Sebastiana - Elton Medeiros (1973)
22. Quando O Carnaval Chegar - Ely Arcoverde (1972)
23. Nao Leve A Mal - Paulinho da Viola (1973)
24. A Sorte Mudou - Jorginho Pessanha (1971)
P.S. Listen for that juicy breakdown on track 12 "O Trem" by Zuzuca. Also listen to the clarity of recording on track 15 "Baiano Não É Palhaço" by Gordurinha. This recording is from 1962 and is 10 years ahead of the curve in terms of recording excellence on the part of the RCA Victor studio. Simply amazing.
I've never heard any culture with such a gift for choral singing as Brasil. It's one of the elements that guides my song choices from volume to volume.
See the pretty cover? See the pretty cover burn the eyeball. The pretty cover is an invitation to have a nice acid guitar player burn your ass. Come in and feel the flames scorch your behind. You'll love it. This can be called Samba Funk with a Rock edge or it could be called Samba Rock with a funky edge. You decide. One thing is for sure, some of Jimi Hendrix's sweat fell on the guitar player.
Antônio Carlos & Jocafi "Mudei De Ideia"
1971 RCA Victor [Remastered] 2001
2.Se Quiser Valer
4.Conceicao Da Praia
6.Mudei De Ideia
8.Quem Vem La
10.Morte Do Amor
11.Deus O Salve
File Under: Samba Rock / MPB
P.S. I line up these RCA ones in a row to show the label sound.
This Samba Pop is on some serious A-C-I-D. A beautiful balance between softer numbers & the more "over the top" type tracks. A Masterpiece of RCA recording. Also of the two covers above, the top one fully communicates what's inside. The art director was going in the right direction with those hot pinks & orange just searing the eye and transmitting the inner content of the sounds contain within the sleave.
Additionally, I hear this one is to see a proper vinyl re-issue by Mr. Bongo U.K., so look for that.
Os Originais Do Samba - O Samba É A Corda...Os Originais A Cacamba [1972 RCA Victor] 320 kbps - 99 mb
This was my first exposure to this group some 10 years ago. I've since falling in love with this band's other LP's as well. This is good place to start though. The early 70's is a moment when the recording of Samba-Pop is reaching a peak. This is one such moment.
Os Originais Do Samba
O Samba É A Corda...Os Originais A Cacamba [1972 RCA Victor]
01. Do Lado Direito Da Rua Direita
02. Catimba Criolo
03. Ciranda, Cirandeia (Recife Em Dia De Festa)
04. Esperanças Perdidas
05. Cravos E Rosas
06. As Três Capitais
07. Eu Vou Pagar Para Ver
08. Tchuna Marucaiaô
09. Boi Bumbá
10. E Lá Se Vão Meus Aneis
12. Lá Vem Salgueiro
13. A Volta Do Ponteiro
File Under: Samba
P.S. A Samba Masterpiece! This session is on fire. If you find yourself enjoying this album, then don't miss either - Alegria de Sambar [1975 RCA Victor] or Os Bons Sambistas Vão Voltar [1977 RCA Victor]. Both are excellent.
Continuing my look at the "RCA" sound. Boy, whoever was doing the engineering over there on the boards, really knew his stuff. Amazingly recorded & beautifully performed by Manoel Conceição. This session has real MAGIC. Very short at 28 minutes, but what a 28 minutes they are. Perfect. A real jewel in the crown of the RCA sound. I adore this little record. 5 stars!
File: Samba / MPB
P.S. This & that Giovana rock. Very strong guitar work here!
This is the kind of record that I am proud to present. This one goes out to my buddies who dig a full on Samba set. Cuica in abundance here! A fine cast of support from Rosinha De Valença, Rildo Hora & Manoel Conceição on Guitars. Mané do Cavaco on cavaquinho & that must be Zeca da Cuica on the Cuica...ha ha.
Your good buddy "J" didn't just double check this one, but triple checked it. This may be my favorite LP by Martinho.
Enjoy! Nah, SUPER ENJOY!
I can just feel the ecstacy of this recording by the cover art. Dig that back cover!
File Under: Samba
P.S. This is peak time for the recording of the Samba form. A record like this is a masterwork of composition & production. The art of recording! High fidelity here!
Another one to go with my look at the Polydor label. A very fine Samba LP by João Nogueira at the tail-end of the 70's. Beautiful song-writing & production & one that spins wonderfully. An outstanding Samba record. Enjoy!
File Under: Samba
P.S. Serious fidelity on this set!!
Where do we start this post? First, this page has a new contributor. This AMAZING share comes to us from our dear friend of this "Samba Hot Spot", DJ Moos of Holland.
Moos, If this was baseball, then this is a HOMERUN! I'll grade it this way. This is basically a flawless transition from the preceding set "Viagem Encantada" from 1975 & equallly as perfect. No wrong moves on this session. This Samba-Line doesn't let up for the duration of its 38 minutes. For Samba-Heads, this IS heaven. This so fits in with the unfolding energies of spring. A mighty celebration of voice, Pandeiro & much, much more. A real treat.
Thank you Moos. You rock! This redefines a "Dutch Treat".
Not only is this record the "Bomb", it's the "Balm" too.
PURE JOY! Make lively Y'all.
Jorginho do Império - Eu E Meu Pandeiro [1976 Polydor]
01 Agua no feijao
02 O Iperador
03 Assím é demais
04 Paz em todo territorio nacional
05 Eu canto Sao Paulo
06 É preciso dar
07 Potpourri de Partido alto
- Chorei quando o dia clareou
- Mulher de malandro
- Sai da casa da vizinha
- Quanto mais carinhosa mais falsa
08 Jogo da Amarelinha
09 Cavaco vadio
10 Amor selvagem
11 A lua e o mar
12 Perdi a namorada
13 Eu e meu pandeiro
File Under: Samba
P.S. Calling Captain Mango. Calling Captain Mango. The party's here!
This Samba line stretches all around the planet.
For a tiny little label, CID seems to have its share of winners and this is certainly one them! From the first track, with its very crisp percussion work by Wilson Das Neves, we are off to a really nice start. Nair has a heavenly, heavenly voice, as does Jaime. Production is outstanding!
The sound here is more rural then urban. One can really hear those rustic influences on "Nigua-Ninhas E Coco Do Norte" and the track "Sabia, Diga La", which is almost a country-funk track ... BIZARRE! Spins well. A charming little record.
File Under: Folk-Rock / Forró / MPB
I'm reupping this one for a new visitor to this page by the name of Inca Roads. Inca, I'm sure you'll find this as listenable as the first LP by this duo. Beautiful guitar & vocal work by this team and outstanding production by the EMI Odeon studios. Overflowing with fidelity & inventiveness. This spins nicely. Please enjoy the inspired classical/rock/folk/jazz fusion of Burnier & Cartier's second LP. Very, very nice!
File Under: Brasilian Classical Jazz Rock
Let me start by saying that this is a MASTERPIECE of the Samba form. Maybe one of the greatest! If you look carefully at my Samba Showdowns, I keep dipping into this LP again & again & again & yet again.
A magnificently produced session & a very nice ride from start to finish. Wonderful choral singing & memorable guitar & percussion work here too. One spin of this should reveal why I've chosen this so many times when I do my round-ups. Enjoy!
File Under: Samba
P.S. For a tiny studio, Estúdio Eldorado certainly had an engineer who knew how to mic & work that mixing board. Wonderful tape saturation on this one & oh that warmth on the Samba Bass Drum just seals this! A PINNACLE.
A big, big "Thank You" to my SLSK buddy M!LLE from Minas Geraes for introducing me to this one.
Very nice mid-70's effort by the Trio Mocotó with beautiful fleshed out production including strings & choral singers. The LP spins well as a whole & there are a few super amazing tracks here. Those of you familiar with my Showdowns will know a few of the songs from this excellent spinner. Enjoy!
The heavens were shining upon our guide of this page Greg when he found this lovely LP. Excellent example of that early 70's Odeon sound. I doubt this recording ever saw a reissue & if there were to be one, it would be the Japanese who would most likely issue it. I would also guess that João Só had one shot at a recording date with a studio of this stature & boy did the Odeon studios hook him up. A stunning example of early 70's MPB. Samba-Pop doesn't get any better then this. Heavenly!
I adore this recording!
João Só - João Só, Na Multidão [1971 Odeon]
01. Marinheiro Só (Caetano veloso)
02. Falo Ao Mar (João Só)
03. Cancão Pra Janaina (João Só)
04. Copacabana (João De Barro - Alberto Ribeiro)
05. Quem Sabe O Amanha (João Só-Dom Salvador)
06. Me Chamo João Só (João Só)
07. Minha Bahia Quero Ver (João Só)
08. Inhambu (João Só - Laércio De freitas)
09. Por Um Minuto Apenas (João Só)
10. Flavia (João Só)
11. Minina Da Ladeira (João Só)
12. Voce Ja Foi À Bahia (Dorival Caymmi)
File Under: MPB / Samba- Pop
P.S. This should sit nicely next to the Elza Pede Passagem [1972 Odeon] by Elza Soares. Thank you Greg for this share.
For those of you lucky enough to walk down a Rio Boulevard, just dig that front cover. Very cool! And look at that beat up guitar. A nice contrast to João's crisp white suit. Love the white suit, very YANG.
A big "Thank You" to Loronix blogspot for this post & this share. I choose to give this very special Samba LP a little extra exposure because I'd rather not see a gem like this get lost in the shuffle. Great Year. Great Artist. Great Label. Spins beautifully & has outstanding production. Nelson Cavaquinho is in peak form & the Odeon studio is right there to see that all goes well in the recording of this session. Very, very strong guitar work here, cuica too & the choral work is quite heavenly as well. I would safely call this a masterpiece of the Samba form. One that Samba lovers should enjoy having in their collection. Enjoy & thank you Zeca for this mighty post & gracious share. Much love.
File Under: Samba
P.S. I could spin a record like this 2 or 3 times in a row it's so enjoyable! The studios have finally figured out how to record this music to best effect at this time. Just listen to how the Samba Bass Drum & Cuica are placed in the sound. We are listening to not just beautiful composition here, but the art of where to place the microphones for the best sound. The form is hitting a peak & this is one of its triumphs!
For my continued look at the Odeon sound!