2/22/08

St. Julian Samba Showdown 16 by J Thyme '08 - 320 kbps - 177 mb



Hey everybody! Well, it's that birthday time of the year for me & I feel like opening my first gift. So here it is & I'm overjoyed to have onlookers to share it with it. Why stop at 18 hours of Samba when the true carnival spirit would surely be more like 19 or 20. Right? Those of us who live in regions where that darn sun just won't seem to come out, then this installment of the series will be for some like the VERY SUN ITSELF. I drop these volumes because this is truly my tempo & yes, I live my life in a carnival line...HEY! Happy birthday to me! I hope you enjoy my gift?
P.S. If you happen to be listening to this in public transit, please let out a big smile to the world. It's always ever so welcomed! Peace onto the soul of humanity & I not only mean it, but I kind it too. Quero Alegria (I Want Joy)
Thank you Greg & Moos & Zeca & all of my buddies online who added to the proceedings herein. We rock.
One last thing. About that Giovana. When you're mining, we don't leave nuggets behind when we find the MOTHERLOAD.
So if Giovana was on my baseball team, she would certainly be MOST VALUABLE PLAYER! Geraldo Filme & those BADASS MOFOs Candeia & Nadinho Da Ilha too.

St. Julian Samba Showdown 16 by J Thyme '08

01. A Lua E O Mar - Jorginho do Império (1976)
02. Seu Rio, Meu Mar - Alcione (1978)
03. Tive Sim - Cartola (1974)
04. Sirie - Sapoty da Mangueira (1975)
05. Um Certo Dia Para 21 - Paulinho da Viola [Minha Portela Querida] (1972)
06. Só Chora Quem Ama - Nadinho Da Ilha (1976)
07. Quero Alegria - Beth Carvalho (1976)
08. Concurso Para Enfarte - Oswaldo dos Santos (1976)
09. Produto Nacional - Samba 4 (1974)
10. Cresca E Apareca - Os Originais do Samba (1975)
11. Um Frevo Novo - Brazilian Singers (1973)
12. Notícia - Nelson Cavaquinho (1977)
13. Não Tem Jeito Que Dê Jeito - Dominguinhos (1977)
14. Fittipaldiando - Nonato E Seu Conjunto (1974)
15. Meu Dinheiro Nao Da - Candeia e Catoni [Minha Portela Querida] (1972)
16. E Por Aqui - Walter Rosa (1976)
17. No Morro Da Casa Verde - Adoniran Barbosa (1975)
18. Fonte Da Bica - Cyro Aguiar (1975)
19. Cada Macaco No Seu Galho - Riachão (1973)
20. Brigaram pra Valer - Os Cinco Crioulos (1967)
21. Maria Rita - João Nogueira (1978)
22. Mineira - Giovana (1975)
23. Desafio - Ary Araujo (1975)
24. Santas Almas Benditas - Leci Brandão (1978)

That last track - Santas Almas Benditas by Leci Brandão has one of the most bizarre uses of Samba bass drum placement. It's playing in the opposite timing in an off-beat. Let's see who's paying attention?
Somewhere within this series is a story of FLOW. If you've flowed this far then thank you to those of us who flow with this procession.

11 comments:

  1. What a pleasant moment it is to get home, start up y'r 'puter and when you check your favourite pages you find St. Julian Samba Showdown # 16.
    It's no wonder I got hooked on the internet, Bless, sweet selection once more Justin !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Moos, It's a "No-brainer" who dancing on this Samba-line. Sports are so much better with a little "Ra, Ra, Ra".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everytime I think it´s over, suddenly there is a new SAMBA SHOWDOWN. Thank you Justin for your great work. Can´t wait to listen to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday J, happy next hundred years of samba..

    let's see what you cooked us this time.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday and thanks for the gift. Very tastefull selecta Justin, so happy you keep on spreading joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Justin I really have appreciated your work throughout the past months. I am pretty busy so I probably neglected to leave a comment, and I'm sorry about that. I absolutely loved Erasmos Carlos, Marc 4, and this Morricone soundtrack (Nina something?)that im pretty sure I got from you. They were all gems! I was wondering about that though because now when I see your page it's all samba, which I enjoy (O'Terco was great), but what happened to all the other posts, didn't you have a morricone series. Maybe im just being stupid and missed them but I looked through the posts and couldn't find any. Anyway, thanks for all your musical knowledge I would not have found these anywhere without your blog, and my life is honestly a little bit richer because of this music. Thanks
    My email is thecornfarmer33@yahoo.com, I usually remember to check back on threads but sometimes I forget and I don't get notification emails sometimes, so maybe just email any response to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Justin

    Happy Birthday - but the presents are for me! This is because I thought your wonderful blog was lost and here you are again!

    I can't begin to tell you the sheer WONDER you've given me via your amazing compilations - whenever one of these tunes comes on it just makes my day. So many samba tunes I would have never ever heard.

    To that I say a MILLION thanks and I wish you many many more happy birthdays!!!!

    All the best
    Paul from Sydney, Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul, if I make these compilations for myself & perhaps you & a few others, then I am overjoyed. It makes it worth it for me to pursue this very unbeaten path to PARADISE. Bliss unto us for having the good sense to follow THIS JOY!!! D-U-H.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Justin,
    Just wanted to thank you for all you are doing here and to let you know that there is yet another happy person out there grooving to your mixes.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Les, So glad there are some polite groovers giving something back. Your kindness keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so grateful you dropped by my blog, J! I haven't stopped listening to this since I grabbed it a few days go. It's going to take me a while to wade through your astounding archive. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete