7/27/13

Burnier & Cartier - Burnier & Cartier [1974 RCA] 320 kbps - 83 mb (Reup)


I love this back photo. These artists are actually looking at musical notation on a page. How refreshing!




I've reuped this one again. I can not get behind this amazing album enough. This duo made only 2 LP's together, this being the first. Once again the engineers at RCA are in peak form with their recording quality, but then again they really have something to work with here. I will mention that Octavio Burnier is the nephew of Luiz Bonfá, as can be noted by the Bonfá compositions & the dedication on the back of the record. This LP is a masterpiece of Pop Fusion. This guitar duo has such magical interplay. Listen carefully to the point/counterpoint work of the playing here. Real Pop craft on this debut. Drawing from the best elements floating around the early 70's Pop landscape. A little "Chicago", a little "Nilson", a little "Seals & Croft", A little "Yes" and a little "Crosby, Stills & Nash" to name a few of the things I hear. God bless the Japanese for remastering & reissuing this GEM. For extra added pleasure, break out the headphones & kick back & enjoy the ride. A great recording! Full of rare brilliance & oozing with fidelity. The tape saturation here is God-like. An amazing recording!

File Under: MPB

P.S. My friends who enjoy early 70's Pop-Rock, don't miss this!
I'll use the grading system from "This Is Spinal Tap" & call this one an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10
Also, this is the record that really tipped my off to how good the engineers at RCA Victor studios really are!  The fidelity here is high science.
                                              

25 comments:

  1. Funny, I was just listening to this one for the first time in a while yesterday, the day you upped this -- it helped me get home on my bicycle in a snowstorm.
    Also really worth hearing from these guys, aside from their two great albums, is an Australian live double album, with jazz musician Don Burrows that's almost as wonderful as their studio albums (available on Loronix), and a few stray individual tracks, like Ficaram Nus on a festival album called Abertura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pawlyshyn, Thank you for your comments. I have the "Abertura", but alas a lousy rip. Will take a closer look at that "Don Burrows and The Brazilian Connection [1977 EMI]".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding that Don Burrows album, there are a few tracks that don't feature Burnier and Cartier that are fine, and a few others that are a bit too close to muzak for me. If you omit Cloud and Insensatez, it all fits on a single CD, and it's a much stronger set.
    Burnier also did a solo album n the late '70s, Dança Infernal, thar's worth hearing, before changing his name several times (I believe he's now Tavinho Bonfá). I haven't been able to track down his later albums, nor Cartier's,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pawlyshyn, I have the Dança Infernal & can't say it does much for me. The same with the Don Burrows album. I guess Burnier changing his name to Tavinho Bonfá did very little for his artistic output?
    The 1974 & 1976 sets by this duo are highly memorable though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this share! I am sorry that it has taken me almost a month to get to it after you left the recomendation on m blog, but it was worth it. While I am obviousily not the audiophile you and your readers are, I enjoyed this very much. Wonderful rich sound, great harmonies, and I walked away wanting to hear more. I keep thinking however that it would be great to hear the remarkable Lani Hall singing some of these vocals. (maybe from listening to too much Brazil '66 as a kid. My parents were playing them and Baja Marimba Band constantly)
    Thanks for the recomendation and keep up the great work. I have added you to my blogroll (a month ago) and enjoy your insight and perspective on this magnificent genre. I alway look forward to seeing your next post.

    Curty Ray
    powerpopoverdose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Curty Ray, I know you run a tight ship over on your Power Pop page. I'm glad you gave this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best thing I have heard all damn year! Thanks so much for opening my eyes to this gem and providing a with much-needed tweak to the noggin.

    Inca

    "This goes to 11!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inca, "11" is not too much for this one. On the acoustical level this record IS pushing the envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this album is freaking ridiculous. unbelievable, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you JThyme! This site rocks! I love working out to this kind of music!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi great site! Is there any chance of a reup, cause the link is down? Many thx in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed, great stuff on here! Any chance of a reupload of this link just as the poster from December asked? Would be great! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, please can you reup? Has vanished from the site. Many thanks, and wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alexis, go to Abracadabra LP's do Brasil 2. It should be on that page.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this Isn't on Abracadabra's page either PLS re-up!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. forget what i just said, got the link and im in heaven. thank you thank you thank you so much!!!! love it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this JT. It is much appreciated. I lost this from a system crash on my pc awhile back and did not have back up at the time. I have back up now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Augusto Flávio (Petrolina-Pe/Juazeiro-Ba)

    J. Thyme...Kind, vc poderia repostar o disco de Jorginho do Império (Viagem encantada) 1975.

    Grato e abraços.

    ReplyDelete
  19. amazing stuff here, thanks for the recommendation. only recently discovered your blog, but will be frequenting here much more often.
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Listen for the amazing engineering here. Grab your favorite headphones.

    ReplyDelete